Mastering Difficult Conversations in Elder Care Workshop
CAD $1300.00 + HST=1469.00
Aging can bring many benefits including extra time to enjoy family, friends and personal pursuits. It can also include: declining physical and mental capacity; illness; disability; complex treatment and care plans; pain; emotional suffering; and the realization that the end of life is approaching. As a result, Elder Care is a field that is ripe with the potential for difficult emotional reactions, challenging conversations and conflicts. While nothing can completely eliminate these challenges, there are things we can do that will make them better or worse.
If you are a professional in the Elder Care field, ask yourself the following:
- Are difficult conversations with patients, their families or Substitute Decision Makers a stressful part of your job that distracts from other tasks?
- Do you find yourself having difficult conversations and wishing you knew how to handle them better?
- Are there times when you feel that conversations get sidetracked or hijacked by family conflict?
- Do issues of consent and capacity raise concerns for you?
- Are you unclear how to identify who the legally authorized Substitute Decision Maker is at times and unsure about their duties and responsibilities?
- Do you sometimes feel stressed or overwhelmed during or after these difficult conversations?
- Do you have trouble understanding Power of Attorney for Care documents or what happens if there is no such document for a patient?
- Do you wish you had a better understanding of the legal issues around Elder Care that impact your role?
This workshop has been specifically designed to help health care professionals and administrative staff to handle difficult conversations and difficult situations related to Elder Care with greater skill and confidence as well as understanding related legal issues.
Who Should Attend
The Mastering Difficult Conversations in Elder Care Workshop is designed for Directors of Care Nurses, Personal Support Workers, Long-term care administrators and staff, Retirement home administrators and staff, Hospital administrators, Hospice staff and Doctors.
Upon completion of the workshop, you will receive a certificate from the University of Windsor, Faculty of Law.
- manage angry or upset people with less stress for everyone;
- deliver difficult messages clearly to promote understanding;
- increase your power to promote agreement;
- overcome the fears that lead you to avoid conversations;
- de-escalate a conflict so it doesn’t become a complaint;
- confront unacceptable behaviour calmly and respectfully;
- understand the legal framework of consent, capacity and substitute decision making;
- save time by avoiding unnecessary mistakes in difficult conversations; and
- improve your effectiveness and decrease your stress in difficult situations.
- improved client/patient care;
- less wasted time having unnecessary or repetitive difficult conversations;
- fewer complaints from clients, patients, families, substitute decision makers;
- minimized risk of lawsuits or regulatory complaints; and
- improved morale due to less stress regarding difficult conversations.
If you have any questions about this course, click here to contact us.
Registration & Payment
There are 3 ways to register. Click the one you want:
A $150 discount applies if you register for both the ADR and Advanced ADR Workshops at the same time.
A 15% discount will apply if 5 or more people register from the same organization.
A fee of 50% of the Workshop fee will be charged for cancellations made up to two weeks prior to the scheduled date for the workshop. The full fee will be charged for cancellations made less than two weeks prior to the workshop date or if participants fail to attend without notice.
A delegate substitution, with required prerequisites, is welcome, up to the workshop commencement date.
An administrative fee will be charged for a change in workshop dates of $250 + HST for the ADR Workshop, Advanced ADR Workshop, Become A Powerful Negotiator Workshop, Dealing With Difficult People Workshop, Mastering Difficult Conversations in Elder Care Workshop and Coaching For A Better Workplace, $500 + HST for the Applied ADR Workshop, and $150 + HST for the Winning Over Irate Customers Workshop, if the change is made in the 8 weeks before the workshop.